Saturday, January 22, 2011

Angels without halos - are here - right now....

In every one's life,  events occur,  that alter the way our life evolves.  For some, those events simply happen because no one else wants to get involved to help - they say they just don't want to interfere.  The following is a story of tragedy and sadness.  It may cause you some anguish - perhaps disgust - but even if you do not read it - I ask that you realize the impact it has on so many ....

A woman I know was just coming back around  to consciousness recently in a not so wonderful hospital room. You could see the bruises and cuts - not big really- they would be easily covered with concealer later and covered even further by the story she would make up.  What could not be seen  - were the ribs crushed from a blow by an all too enraged husband.  A man, who repeatedly told her how much he cared and how much it pained him for her to make him so mad that he just HAD to slap her - just to help her.  This was no simple tap this time.  She had lost track of the "times" - especially the past year.  As her husband had fallen on some tough "luck", he drank more, worked less and hit often.  She thought he was a good man -so she stayed.  Oh,  she promised her friends she would leave when the kids got older or  her husband got the supervisor job. The list of promises to herself and her friends grew,  just as her friends' belief in her faltered.  At a time in her life when she needed them most, her friends just would not get involved in a little marital spat. A spat?  Really? 

A few years ago, my friend thought she had it all - a man that loved her, a comfortable home, 2 charming little boys and a future.  But something happened on the way to paradise.  Had she put on too many pounds?  She didn't think so.  She always had guys flirting with her where she used to work.  Of course she had to quit, her husband said it made him look bad that his wife had to work.  Her family could sure use the money now - but her husband had his pride.  Had she put everything else ahead of her husband and made him feel less of a man?  She did not think so.  She went places with him, places she cared nothing about - just so he would be happy.  Isn't that what good wives do?  What she could never quite understand is that while the relationship issues were partly her fault - the abuse from her husband was all his fault.  She never could separate the two and today she is in this hospital bed - hurting both physically and emotionally.  What would she tell her kids?  I was only there a couple minutes - the rage within me was consuming - my eyes ablaze from anger.  I stayed long enough to hear her have this conversation with her sister (the names have been changed)

"You have to leave him"

"I can't.  He needs me and  he needs the boys"

"What happened?  How did you call the ambulance?

"I didn't.  The police just showed up and pulled John off of me"

The cop standing near the bed, waiting to take her statement, said:  "Ma'am, when we came in your husband was sitting in the corner -  shaking.  We thought maybe you had been robbed.  Your husband said he saw Satan, and that THING hit him so many times he thought he was dying.  Your husband said the DEMON had  blood red eyes.  But we knew he was drunk - so we just chuckled"

My friend looked puzzled.  Her sister even more so.

As she looked at her sister, I heard her say "But - but - I know someone pulled John away"

The policeman asked her to to describe the man.

She said :--"I don't know, average size, I guess, maybe close to 6 feet, 185 - 190, white guy, all his clothes were black or at least I think so."

Her sister smiled --"It was your angel.  I told you God would help you"

My friend looked at me and asked "Do you think it was an angel? It was so dark"

I replied - "I  have no idea - not  really my area of expertise.  I need to go - rest well"

As I left the room, I walked quickly down the hall.  Saddened by what I had seen, but knowing that there ARE angels among us.  Just as I was about to leave the building, I spotted a group of teenagers.  One snickered and looked my way.

"Look at that old dude, he thinks he is Johnny Cash or something"

Some stories are true - some are just stories.  One thing is true - and is a reality - every day women suffer through unbearable anguish at the hands - literally - of a man who once said he loved them.  This does NOT have to happen -  EVER.  I suppose you can pray for a miracle- pray everyday for one - I suppose you can try counseling - I suppose you can just try to change yourself and hope things change.  Yep, I suppose you can do all of that.  What I do know is that there are angels out here who can  help you.... some angels wear black and will never have a halo- but that is ok.  If you are in a situation that you feel is hopeless, ask around,  someone you know may have a direct line to a group of angels that could make your world the heaven on Earth that you desire...or at least not dark.....

No comments:

Post a Comment