Saturday, August 6, 2011

Civility is just gone....

Emotions run high on a myriad of subjects.  I get that.  People are passionate.  I get that too.  What I don't get - and have not got for almost 50 years is why it has to get personal?  I understand how love turns to hate - for both are passionate emotions.  What I don't understand is why?  I understand the patho-pys of neuron changes in the brain chemistry (at least sort of). What I don't understand is why someone who believes in a way in which another may not - assumes the other is an idiot and thus "all of those" folks are worthless.  Really?  Is that the people we have become?  Or is it just the South?  Strike that - I have travelled way too much and I know that type of fervor is everywhere - on both sides of "pertinnear" every subject.  Southerners are often criticized for their enunciation and diction.  However, one does not have to drop the g on a gerund to sound like a quack.

Everyone  has an opinion and should - but the opinion, at some point, needs to come in line with the subject matter - not a mere dismissal of a group in its generalized form. I suppose that is what we have become - a world full of instant messages, tweets, sound bites and gotchas.  A world filled with prejudice, bitterness and diatribes.  It may have always been that way and I am just now seeing it.  Perhaps - but in the last two days on two separate occasions, by two separate people, I have been called worthless for being somewhat left of center politically. 

Worthless?  Really?  One knows that for sure?  Are my feelings hurt?  That would be impossible - neither of my daughters said it - so an emotional pain is impossible for me.  Does it bother me?  Yes.  Not for the reasons one may think.  If I am considered worthless for a political belief, I can only imagine what my friends who  are NOT the CORRECT race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, marital status or education level must be called.  You see - according to some,  on ALL of those "requirements" I would be the POSTER CHILD for their CORRECT viewpoint (better than CORRECT on many).  I also realize many on the left spew the same venom - just a different spin - so I suppose civility is just gone.  Gone like the wind.  However, unlike Rhett, "Frankly, my dear I DO GIVE A DAMN"".  People matter to me. I will always be ok - I am the poster child for all those "requirements" and by merely "being" can challenge those stereotypes.  So over lunch sometime - (feel free to join me) -  we can discuss all of the world's problems.  At the end of the meal - I will get the check - for you see when it comes to most areas - I have some worth.....Or at least those are some of my thoughts for the past 50 years...PEACE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment