Saturday, September 24, 2011

The end of almost 50

When I started my blog my intention was to speak about what I know to be true - and not just true to me.  It was meant to be a reflection of times past, the places in the future and of course right now.  I wrote those through the eyes of someone approaching 50 - someone who had lived through many experiences and who will live through many more.  Nothing has changed since I started this blog - only by the time most of you who read this - I will no longer be approaching 50 - I will be 50. 

I suppose the predictable thing to do would be to attempt to write prophetically - with much admiration toward many and malice to but a few.  I am, as many of you know, not much for the book standard answer.  I have little admiration for many and if truth be told - the ones to whom I might  have malice - most likely impacted me the most and made me, in no lesser part than those I care for, who I am today.   During this past year or so - I wrote many entries - some good - some not so much - some political - some satire - but all heartfelt.  A wise man once told me that writing is a cathartic.  Perhaps - but to whom?  I am particularly proud of two entries:  My Grandfather's Hammer and The Funeral of a Dear Friend.  Both entries speak of who I am - and more importantly who I strive to be.  Time will tell if my writings were true - either way - the intent was sincere.

The four people for whom I care the most are the ones who probably care the least about what I write here.  They know me and I am honored to have my life with them.  They know who they are - but perhaps you do not - so to Chuck, Carlee, MattiLynn and Valerie - thanks for making my life the great place it is. Like a John Grisham book...there is no profound ending - the action occurs living each day not thinking about the past.  Here's to living....may each of you find peace...and a good AARP card so you can get some discounts....or so goes my thoughts from almost (at least for another few hours) 50 years....

1 comment:

  1. Chip - you are the best big brother! always have been and always will be... For the four people referenced in your writing this week, you provide inspiration and much, much more to us every day. So as your 50th birthday arrives tomorrow, keep living in the present, looking forward not backward, and just know that you influence lives for the good each day. Happy Birthday Chip! love, your brother Chuck

    ReplyDelete