Saturday, December 11, 2010

Are you - your parents now?

If you are reading this,  most likely you are over 40 - closer to 50 even, you may say you are NOT - but most likely you are.  Our parents did not have this way of talking with folks.   It is kinda cool, but in a way a bit removed from the human interaction most of us want - perhaps even need.  I never wanted to be my parents.  Like most of you, when I was younger I made myself a promise "that when I get that age, I will be different."  Ok, maybe my parents were not the best examples of "how to be", so it was easier for me, but I bet you still said it anyway.  I look around now and I see so many people turning into their parents, sad really, at least I think so.  When we were young we were going to change the world, change the government (ok some of you still want to), make all those daring choices, stay in touch with our friends, live - not just exist.  Some of us have, but frankly, we do so at times the "gurus" call a "SEE" (significant emotional event) - you know the ones, births, deaths, marriages, divorces, job gains and losses - you get the picture.  Most days though we say things like - I will do that AFTER the kids grow up and move out, we will do it next year, we will do it after the rush of the holidays, just as soon as I make more money, or whatever we consider a "rational reason" not to do something.  Sounds just like my parents - does it sound like yours?  You may say that is just human nature, people grow up and mature - that is what adults do - it is not bad.  No,  it is not bad - but it goes against what we said we would do and to me that is sad.  I will never be a great songwriter - but I still try.  I will never be John Grisham - but I try.  I will never be President - but I still enjoy debating.  I am pretty good at business, but if that were all I did, I wonder how good I would be? 

Perhaps your passion changed from the time of your youth and that's cool. ---If it actually changed and you didn't just give up so you could be "your parents".  Without desire all important aspects of life fade - marriages, jobs, our lives in general.  I encourage you to live your life - not the life of your parents.  You may say "I am not my parents - I am nothing like them".  If you are over 40 and reading this you should have reached a level of reading that allows you to understand I am not talking truly about "parents", I am talking about getting old and wandering without the wonder we used to have.

One thing though that would be nice about going back and being my "parents" - I would have seen each of you and talked with you about this. Instead I just write it and put it out there in the hopes that maybe you understand and talk back or at least think about it.  Somedays I guess being my "parents" would be better........

1 comment:

  1. Chip, I remember one thing I learned from Nannie that I said I would never do...Do you recall that she saved everything for a special occasion? When you would give her something nice, she would pat it and put it in a drawer and look at it but never actually use it. That impacted me as a child and I didn't understand then...I guess it was because she was a survivor of the Great Depression....it made me realize exactly what I think you are saying here. We should do what we can, the best we can now...enjoy everyday as it comes...knowing tomorrow may or may not come...
    Thanks for your thoughts....I always enjoy your perspective on life...

    ReplyDelete