Friday, December 24, 2010

My talk with God

People fascinate me - especially the ones I don't like - which for the most part are most of them.  To paraphrase a quote ...Oh I love mankind, it's the people that give me the most pause.. I suppose the ones that cause me the most disdain are the preachers (not necessarily the ordained ones),  Perhaps you know some - the ones that tell you how you should live, what you should do, what you should say - yet have never spent 10 minutes of their life talking WITH you,  for no other reason than they have spent their entire life talking TO you.  For the most part, I have lived a life of passionate zeal - but have rarely expected others to live any different than they do.  Recently, several people have told me I should change my life.  Granted, they have not seen me in over 25 years, but they feel they have the answer - THE WAY - as they called it.  They will quote scripture after scripture - as if memorizing words will change the world - even change me.  What they don't know - and only a few people in the world do - is that I am a true believer in God.  Not a BETTER believer, not a HOLIER believer, but a believer nonetheless.  My belief is so deep that if today, I were provided empirical data that the Holy Bible was just a book, my faith in God would not diminish, it might actually grow.  You may find that odd.  The truth is -  people debate stuff in a circular pattern - they argue a point using the point as the premise.  If you argue that the Bible is the truth, while referencing only the Bible - only someone who believes your way will listen. 

Anyone reading this will most likely have a different relationship with God than I do.  I may have read somewhere a personal relationship with God is what is expected (Oops...I may be doing the same stuff others do - quoting).  The real answer lies within each of us and not amongst us.  So, if God and I had a conversation in human terms - I think it would go something like this:

God:  How's the knee?

Me:   Getting better.  Thanks for helping me find the duct tape this past summer.

God:  You think I did that? (Smiling)

Me:  Of course! Blood was pouring out of my knee and I needed to stop it fast.  We both know when I need something in my garage, it takes me a week to find it,  That day I found it right where it was supposed to be  .... in just a few seconds.  But then again, you are the miracle guy, so maybe you had my girls put something back from where they got it.  Lord only knows it would take a miracle. No pun intended, God.

God:  No offense taken.  Even I need a little humor.  So much misery in the world I created.

Me:  Yea, I have been meaning to ask you about that....why so much?

God:  You know the answer - people.  Free will presents quite a few challenges, yet it allows people to grow - to understand and to see a clear path.

Me:  It also allows for destruction and pain.  Not the kind of highlights you thought when you created us huh?

God:  Excuse me?  Of course I knew...careful little man.  My hope was that there would be more like you and a whole lot less like some others.

Me:  Please tell me you did not use hope as a strategy?

God:  No - but it is a human process, so my children will.

Me:  Not me

God:  Yes, even you....as a matter of fact - you more than most.

Me:  What?  You must have me mixed up with that NY singer Chip Prince - the one when I search for me on the NET, I get a picture of a short, bald guy.

God:  No - you Chip Prince of Springville, AL.  You - the one who wants to make a difference in others' lives.  You  - the one who can by doing - not by telling.  You like being anonymous - but I know....

Chip:  You think I am going to bring people to you?

God:  You already have. 

Me:  You know I only pray for my health.  For I know that with that I can do most anything - I will figure it out.  I don't ask for stuff.  I don't ask for help.

God:  I know, but many do and that is OK. 

Me:  I suppose it is.  As I was driving the other day, I was thinking  about my life.

God:  I know you were.

Me:  Of course you do.  Can I finish? God!

God:  Yes, but clean up the language, I am right here you know.

Me:   Ooops!  Anyway, as I was thinking about my life, I realized how many times you were there to help me in my one request for my health.  When I was 15 and you had the police stop the fight.  When I was 19 and allowed me to not get hit with a punch from my old man.  When I was in the Army and no real harm came to me.  When I have travelled so many miles on planes and cars - yet I arrived safe.  When I have helped people in situations that needed help when others simply would not.  I know that I was not smart enough to do it all on my own - and I just wanted to say thanks. 

God:  I know..

ME:  Of course you do...sometimes knowitalls are agitatng

God: (Smiling)  You have a mirror my son?  But the truth is,  I need more like you Chip.

ME:  I am no preacher.  I am not a hand raising fundamentalist.  I am not the guy to bring people to God with scripture.

God:  No you are not.  You are effective though in the what you do.  Be an example for those that do not know me.  People that know YOU -  would never expect it from you and will watch and listen.  Never let them see you coming.  Reach those not in the choir - the ones that need a different type of messenger.  Believe me - they will NEVER expect you.  Never let them see you coming - until you are there

Me:  You saw that movie too?  Never mind, of course you did....

God:  So, big day today?

Me:  Funny...tomorrow is the celebrated anniversary of your Son's birth and of course my girls with Santa and all.  Guess I should not put those together huh?

God:  Happiness and Good Will toward Man is my desire....I see nothing wrong with what you said.  Besides we know the truth...

Me:  Yep - Our Saviour's birth was most likely in June or July, the only reason we celebrate Christmas in December is ...

God:  ....People.  Got to love 'em.

Me:  I guess YOU do....

God:  You try so hard to act like you don't - but your actions differ so much.

ME:  Sometimes you are tough to talk to.

God:  People say the same thing about you Chip.  The reason is we speak the Way and often that is not easy for people to understand.

Me:  What if I blogged about our conversation today?  What do you think people will say?

God:  Some will like it, most will hate it - call it sacreligous.  But not me...so go forth my good and faithful servant.  You have done well and you will continue for I do answer Prayers.  So how's that knee?

ME:  Better each day - just like life with you.. Most of all thanks for understanding..

God:  Anytime...

ME:  Merry Christmas Father...

God:  Save it for July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment