Saturday, February 5, 2011

Your Opinion Matters?? Only if it has Standing.....

Standing in the court system means a person has an interest in the outcome BECAUSE a person had an active interest in the events leading up to outcome.  What all of that really means is summed up in the Southern phrase “I got a dog in the hunt”….translation to real English:   if you are going to complain about the outcome, make sure you were a participant.  Which got me to thinking:  how many people do I know complain about stuff of which they have no idea what  it is like to be in that situation?
Pell Grants reductions are a hot topic right now.  If our Government reduces them, there will be XXX dollars in savings.  The arguments are “if people want to go to college they will find a way”   “college is not for everyone”  “college education is not a right”…..all of these are true – I concur wholeheartedly.  Since I concur with these statements is all the more reason I think Pell Grants should continue.  Did your head just twist off?  Yep – I said continue.  I would have been eligible for a Pell Grant – never got one – did not know they even existed.  It might have been a just a little easier if I had had just a little help.  Instead, I worked over 50 hours a week, often ending my shift after midnight and since I had to be at work the next day at 3 p.m., I had to take 7:30 a.m. classes.   My parents could not help  and over my TOTAL years of college I borrowed only $3560.  I know the exact amount – because I paid it all back PLUS interest.  You see I have STANDING to voice my opinion – I have been there – I know how a little help could have made a lot of difference.  If you have not been there – you can voice your opinion – but as for STANDING?  Gee, I don’t know….I know you pay taxes so you think that gives you  STANDING….I paid a little last year too. J   I GOT STANDING….and a few letters behind my name as well.  Chip Prince, MBA
Gays and Lesbians in the military is a hot topic right now.  NEWS flash – there have been gays and lesbians in the military since the  beginning of time – not just U.S. time.  Ever heard of the Roman and Greek armies?  But back to STANDING.  During YOUR service in the U.S. Armed Forces, how many issues did you encounter with gay and lesbian soldiers, sailors, airmen or marines?  What?  Oh, you never served…but you know they should not be there, gotcha.  You know this how?  Oh, TV, radio and church, gotcha, makes sense..TO YOU!  At 32 degrees water freezes. At 20 degrees you have trouble feeling your toes after 12 hours in the dark of night. At 0 degrees, your mind begins to wander a little – you begin to call on all of your training just so you can focus on the task - squeezing the trigger on a piece of metal that may stick to your NON gloved hand.  At  -15, you simply want to get some place warm so that you can realize you are alive.  During this all expense paid exotic vacation, carrying all of your matching clothes and boots in a 70 lb sack, accessorized with a weapon that is suppose to able to reach 300 meters on a good day,  as you watch mortar fire launched from  1000 feet away land only a few feet away from you head,  do you REALLY wonder if the guy next to you is checking out your behind?  You really think that?  What hell hole were you when this thought occurred?  Your den? The golf course?  Your local bar?  You see I have STANDING to voice my opinion – I have been there – I know what matters most in the military – Will my buddy be there in case part of me starts to gush blood...  If you have not been there – you can voice your opinion – but as for STANDING?  Gee, I don’t know….I know you pay taxes so you think  that gives you  STANDING….I paid a little last year too. J   I GOT STANDING….and a few medals as well.  SGT. Carl Prince,  Jr. , U.S. Army (Honorable Discharge)

Gay/Lesbian Marriage is a hot topic right now ---Not sure where you stand on this and I really don’t care.  Standing would be tough here huh?  Doubtful you have standing - you most likely are not gay or lesbian – but who knows.  Woody Allen says being bi doubles your chance of finding a date for Saturday…just a thought.  Anyway – your stance on NO is based on your morality I am sure.  That is fine – good for you.  But that is not really standing – as I have defined it is it?  If you are married or have been, then that could be your standing and in that we are similar.  From my perspective, I think these marriages  should be allowed to – just so they can endure the same mess those of who are married have to endure.  (Hey Val!   You are laughing now I know)  Further, if one in the couple  decides to leave – they should have to write a big exit CHECK just like us. (Hey Val!  Before you say write that check – it is only half  - NOT all) So I guess on this one we all have standing if we are married or have been, but seriously the standing needs to be based on our life not what we believe.  Please no hate from the far right (nah go ahead – I love mail).  I got standing – 27 years worth… I say let them suffer (I mean live a wonderful life – Val) and let them have to write a big check if they leave… seems fair and balanced (almost killed me to write that)….
Health Care is a hot topic right now.  Some people call it Obamacare.  Call it what you will.  Like it/don’t like it – that is ok with me.  I wonder about the standing on this one.  If you have health insurance – - no one is forcing you to buy it – so do you have an “ache in the argument”?  If you don’t have insurance and don’t want it ,  I suppose you have standing…but I have not really heard too much disagreement from that group yet .  Perhaps the disagreement for most,   is that our Government should not tell us that we have to buy insurance, based on PRINCIPLEs of the Founding Fathers and some judge in Florida – (you women just keep quite now ya hear!  The founding fathers did NOT think enough about you until some liberal in 1920 got the notion to put forth the amendment that  you should be allowed to vote).  Some of these same people that say no one should be forced to buy insurance are the same people that complain about people getting “free” health care in ERs.  Would those people PLEASE make a choice!  (you know what free will is right?)   It is nice to have an opinion – it is even better to have a consistent one.  You see I have STANDING to voice my opinion – I have been there – I know what it is like to not have health insurance.  If you have not been there – you can voice your opinion – but as for STANDING?  Gee, I don’t know….I know you pay taxes so you think  that  gives you  STANDING….I paid a little last year too. J   I GOT STANDING…I also have a scar on my left lung from inadequate care…it really is ok, I don’t cough TOO much…
I wrote this today – NOT because I wanted to talk about me – I can do that (and DO) every day.  I wrote this because every day I hear people talk about how things “should be” – without giving any thoughts to how things really “are”.  In a conversation I had today (one of many) , someone told me that these people I hear talking have “should be thinking”.  Perhaps, I need to simply accept it as just human nature.  Accept?  I find it depressing actually – on that -  I may actually “Stand” alone.    Makes me wish and wonder if there is life in other parts of the universe.  Of course, I have no Standing  to have a real opinion  (and you don’t either).   I live on this planet and I am human – although many of you reading this may question that statement too……but you don’t have STANDING – you don’t know me as well as you think –few do.  Sometimes I have to get back to my Southern roots  by ending with “bless your heart”.  :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment