Friday, March 25, 2011

Human Connection - Not Only Electronic

I travelled this week.  Travelling is easy for me – a decade or so ago – I spent about 40 weeks on the road.  That now seems like a lifetime since then.  Now I am only “out” 3 or 4 times a year.  All of the little tricks I have learned about getting through airports pay off most times.  Everyone has their own routine for travel adventures.  As for me – I like to engage in conversation with people.  Now that should not be too big a shocker  to most of you.  What might surprise some of you though, is that I do not just do idle chitchat.  I pick a subject that might be of interest to both the person next to me and me.   It is really easy actually…I always have my people reading skills and my props.  Not always, but most times, after a few minutes of “viewing” I can get a sense of their family attachments, political slants, etc.  Now I will NOT share with you how I do it, I will only say it takes practice and experience.  The best part – is that most people never know I did – they just feel I connected.  A useful  skill – in many ways!!!!  I will tell you that the use of my props helps immensely.  I do not have a Kindle for just this reason – I carry  books/mags with covers and watch the reactions from the people next to me.   If I get ANY reaction I jump right on it and start up the conversation.  The fun of this, is that I will get to talk to someone that has an opinion about something – and that makes for great conversation.  You may say “Chip, I don’t like to talk on planes and I would not engage.”  Can I just say – “But you would…”  Before I start the process I write a number on a napkin.  That number represents the number of props/questions that I think it will take to start a deep discussion.  I usually write down 3, but rarely do I need that many…just years of practice. 
You see, everything in life is a learning experience for me - whether it is talking to a fortune teller in Vegas or an XRAY machine salesperson in a hospital.    Life is about interaction – it is what makes us human.  Caring about others is one of the two principle differences between our brain and the brain of say …a bear.  The cruelest person  you know has more caring in them than the “nicest bear”.  I know you do not believe that – that is ok – you don’t have to believe it – that still does not make the statement untrue.  Brain functionality and its rewiring is not a subject most understand – I do not.  I do know how to enhance the general focus and perhaps the most incredible function of the brain – blocking.  You may consider yourself a multitasker – but you actually cannot do 2 things @ 100% - at the same time.  You think you can – you have convinced yourself you can – but only .5% of the world’s population can do that.  While that is still a lot of people – you and I are probably not in the group.  I have mastered one multi-task – that of leering at an attractive woman while still maintaining eye contact with my dinner companion.  I can do that not because I am so talented – but more because I detest enormous amounts of alimony (even success has its drawbacks) J 
So on my latest trek, after some evaluation, I started up a conversation about negotiation and investing – I doubted it would get much depth based on my observations.  The person next me was not really looking for advice, and I really had little to give.  We talked about 3-4 minutes, and sure enough she needed some help.  I suggested she get life insurance (min 20 year worth of term) equal to 10 times her annual net salary, have 6 months of net income set aside for emergencies and evaluate when she would need the money, as well as determine her risk tolerance.  She smiled “ That is your best advice?   I figured you would try to impress me.”  I like that kind of frankness.  My response was “What I just gave you will allow you to sleep alone for your whole life – but will assure that you will never have to”  That broke the ice and we talked a little about some very dry topics of debate and negotiation.  Turns out she knew very little –she said that her strong suit was literature – which was really what I wanted to talk and learn about to begin with (told ya’ I could).  But I had already figured that out…See her eyes had glanced at my copy of Sense and Sensibility (I suppose the book did not match me) and she looked over a few times.  I also know people that read can carry on a conversation on most subjects – not everyone reads just tech manuals.  So when I wrote down the number 2 on the paper – I knew the best bet was “the under”…. J
We as humans need to talk more and “electronic” less, stress less, and just about everything less – ok one thing  NEVER less – but I will leave that topic alone .   Engagement is who we are and if you struggle with it, that is ok – that is who you are.  Just be careful if you are next to me at a meeting, a plane, a bus, a train or a 4 mile run – I will engage you  - all in less than 5 questions/props.  Something I love to do and have learned to do fairly well over my almost 50 years.  Those are just my thoughts – what are yours?  Oh wait, I bet I can tell you! All I need is about 10 minutes face to face – after all I am human… not a machine ;)    

No comments:

Post a Comment