Saturday, May 14, 2011

Our Government "is" my Friends.....

As I was walking around American Village on a school field trip yesterday with my 11 year old, I felt a sense of change coming.  The characters portraying our Country's past were excellent actors, however,  as they carried out their points, I could not help but realize just how far we have come as a nation.  I also realized how much we are still the same.  Some of the same complaints those patriots had then - people of today still have: taxes, a voice in the decision , concern about commerce , etc.  All valid concerns, but with one main theme - in theory each wanted their points to be universal truths, in reality it was a lot of talk about how life happens to them.   Who really knows what was going on in the minds of those men in the late 1700's?
The change I felt coming was not really about the Country or government, it was about people.  I could see the cliques beginning to emerge.  I could see the bias coming.  I looked around during the discussion of the Stamp Act and saw the grown-ups nodding their heads - almost in unison - realizing that reaction would be imparted on their children soon - perhaps it should - I don't know.    It was almost like listening to the Rush Limbaugh Show - only these guys had hair - long hair.  I will admit I watch people - stare actually - or so I am told by my family.  I like to think of it as being acutely aware - but my three girls will disagree.  I will admit, there are far worse things than being critical of our government - the worse being critical of each other as humans.  Although, in my almost 50 years of "staring" at people, I have reached the conclusion that if I humanize people I am far less inclined to demonize them. 
Let's try an exercise, shall we?  I hear constantly that we need to get back to the Constitution and have smaller government.  My 11 year old and I got a copy of of the Constitution @ American Village yesterday - compliments of one inspiring lady - Mrs. Martha Lewis.  I read the words - once again.  I cannot count how many times I have actually read it over my adult life - but dozens would be close.  How about you?  How many times have read the ENTIRE masterpiece?  Or do you do what many do with the Bible - just read the parts you like?  Either way - the words do not change unless amended.  You know what I found?  Actually what I did not find?  The word SMALL - as in small government.  I did find the words WE though - as in WE The People.  So with that thought - I have a request for you - when you hear small government comments and you applaud - see these faces:
My friends Laurie, Adria (and cousin)  and Tammy - school teachers and government employees.
My friends Tony and Matt - former and current government employees.
My friend Linda - a wonderful, caring lady who is a lover of animals and is a government employee.
My friend Patti - whose father served the military proudly - as perhaps someone in your life did as well.

My cousin-in-law  Danny who retired from the Public Works - was a government employee
My friend John - who is a sheriff deputy and my brother-in-law  Terry who serves as a police officer - both working for our government. 
All of the teachers who help develop my children and perhaps your children too. 
My friend Craig - who does some high level math thingy -of which I cannot even begin to comprehend - gets at least some benefit from government procurement. 
The guys that check my water meter - government employees- albeit it local.    The lady who always is smiling (perhaps because I do also) when I renew my car tag. 
The list goes on - but you get the message.
Each of these folks - and I have mentioned only a few of those I know - all work in some facet for the government.  You want smaller government?  You fire them.  You wreck their lives and then understand that the invaluable services they provide will be gone.  Once you see people as people - ideology gets muddled - at least for me.  I know those kids I walked with yesterday will one day take on the thoughts of their parents and in many aspects I hope they do.  On idea though, which I hope each child keeps within them,  is the thought that government is "We the People"  (as in REAL people) and not just a phrase to say "they want to take over".  My thoughts today, as well as from  the past almost 50 years, are not emotional - they are logical.  People are who matter, everyone does some good and one can always find fault - if you look hard enough.  I know many of you will disagree with me - maybe because you do not know any government workers.  Just an FYI - they are people - good people - get to know them for it is "We the People" - not "Them the BAD"....or at least those are my thoughts from many (almost 50) years of "staring" and "building"....

No comments:

Post a Comment