Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Woman - two girls call Mama....

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  Lots of events have occurred in the past week - and many lives have have been changed.  Yet, through it all,  people have taken the time to compliment and reflect on their lives with their mother.  I will admit at times I felt a little envious, no regrets, just a little envious.  I won't bore you with stories of my mother, nor pass accolades on about her.  Our life was what it was and life goes on. However,  I will tell you about the greatest mother I know.

I have heard mothers say they sacrifice for their children, the one I know does not think it is a sacrifice at all.  I know some mothers feel they failed their children, the one I know realizes that a mama cannot fail if she gives all she has -  all the time.  I know some mothers think that they should do more for their children or perhaps  - just do things better, I know one who thinks doing more is a honor - perhaps even her spiritual gift.  In a world filled with horror stories about bad mothers, in a country where motherhood is often mistaken for a right, rather than a privilege, few mothers achieve the medal for being mama.  I am certain that there are tremendous mothers out in this world - with many children so happy to call her mama....but I know of no better mother than the woman - two little girls I love the most - call mama. 

I could list all that she does - and she would just say - "well, you know - it is just what you do".  Really? Setting the example for career achievement  - setting the example for service to a profession - setting the example of girl development and fun by leading not 1,  but 2 Girl Scout Troops - demonstrating compassion by providing comfort and care to her 91 year old grandmother without reservation, and teaching Sunday School not out of obligation - but because someone should.  All of those are great attributes.  However, the one trait - two little girls will remember for their entire lives - is not a trait at all, but is the loving woman - who when the weight of her world is pushing on her - she never fails to provide comfort and a smile to two little girls.  Years from now - the toys will be a memory, the soccer games will just be a story, the Girl Scouts will be a reflection and the homework will have long sense past, but the time she spends laughing with them and the monsters she chases away from them will be what makes them want to do the same for their children.  Is their any greater gift a mother can pass on to her children?  So Carlee and MattiLynn, you should be proud to call your mother - Mama.  But all their Mama would say to that is "Now Chip, they are just little girls!"  I bet I still hear her say that went they bring over their grandkids one day...I wonder if one day our girls will reflect on their almost 50 years????? Oh well , just my thoughts on the greatest Mama I know....enjoy your day Mothers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment