Saturday, July 9, 2011

American Parents -- no longer like apple pie and that's ok for most - NOT ME

A week goes by again.  Seems they now go by faster than the weeks went by when I was younger.  I know that is not true - but it seems that way.  While @ first glance this was just another week. In my world it was filled with camps and spend the nights for the girls, beginning of cheerleading for the little one and for the big one - merely trying to find time to get her to meet with the dude that will teach her to play guitar.  All of that seems fairly typical of a parent's life - I suppose I am no different - except I am an older parent.  The thought of being a parent ran through my mind all week.
On many occasions this past week I took exception and mostly likely was the exception in two decisions our great Nation's judicial system made.  In the trial of Ms. Anthony,  the Court did what it was suppose to under the law of our land.  In the execution of the Mexican national in Texas, the Court did NOT do what it was suppose to under the law of our land.  My opinions are not popular around these parts.  I have gotten a few terse looks when I say my piece.  Gotten quite a few nasty little e-mails. Even a few - our laws did not work - but God's justice will!!!! Of course, I got the proverbial question of "What if it were one of your daughters, huh, huh?"  I will answer that now - I will give the answer most parents should - but will not.  My answer is simply "I do not know".  Actually, no one knows - unless of course a parent has experienced just those situations. I do know NO court will bring back the child.  Any questions on that?  Punishment is not justice - may make you feel better - but justice?  Should criminals be locked up for our protection?  YES!  But justice?  The child is dead - justice will NEVER happen... I will flip the question "How do you know how you would feel if Ms. Anthony were your daughter or the Mexican national were your son?"  Again - my response would be "I don't know."  You may think you know - perhaps you do --but doubtful.
Since I do not have to be subjective, I can be more objective.  Which I think I am and public opinion is not.  I have been wrong before - at least emotionally, rarely factually.  These cases this week sparked enormous emotional outcry for the despicable acts.   Rightfully so, I suppose.  I concur deeply,  the crimes were heinous and horrific.  I cannot begin to imagine the torment to which the victims went through.  The horrors each endured were beyond what I can comprehend.  I love a good fight - I find it thrilling, stimulating and VERY satisfying.  The young man in Texas would  have a tough time kicking my butt.   As for Ms. Anthony, I would never raise my hand to a woman - for any reason.  I do know a couple of women that might have a shot @ whipping me - so I am sure either of them could break that party girl to pieces.  Thankfully, that is not how our Country works.  Some wish it were - I for one am glad most times it is not. 
We are a land of laws - been that way for many years.  You remember that piece of paper some of my more conservative friends wave around when it is convenient.  It is called the Constitution.  Most have never read it.   My liberal friends wave it too - they say it is a living and breathing document.  Most of them have not read it either.  Either way it is the law.  As are the laws that follow based on the supreme law of our land. These laws @ the very core of our Country are listed and defined as personal protection(s).  In a republic or a democracy - these must be followed or that same entity has fallen to the depths of what many of us consider ill advised forms of government. 
Ms. Anthony was found not guilty.  That does not mean she is innocent.  It does mean under our law - the system provided due process - just as our laws state the system should.  Kind of like the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration of Independence, no guarantee of the outcome - only the guarantee of the chance.  The Mexican national committed a terrible crime, was found guilty and was put to death.  Sounds just.  Unless you consider we signed an international agreement to NOT do just that.  We cannot and should not choose which laws to obey and which ones to not obey - based merely on how we FEEL.  I do not like the new Alabama law on immigration, but when it goes into effect - I will follow it - until we can get it changed - if we can.
I am a different kind of liberal I suppose.  I believe in the laws we make.  I believe in our government.  I believe in individual rights. I do not believe in mob mentality.  I do not believe that the majority should rule at the expense of the minority.  I do believe in my Country - but some of the people in it right now?  I "dunnoknow", seems some of them have lost the thought of what it means to be an American - to be above the passions of the times .  We must, as Americans, let human rights for which we make laws while dispassionate,  rule our sensibilities when our insensitive passions flare.  Maybe I am wrong, but I have had these thoughts for almost 50 years now.  At least I am consistent.  In the end true beliefs usually are.....or so my fellow Christian friends say.

No comments:

Post a Comment