Saturday, July 2, 2011

Never preach Christmas @ Easter and other rules

Why is that?  What would it hurt?  Oh yeah, timing - the level of expectation.  The older I get,  the more I realize that often today's youth idea on expectation is really not far from the folks I see and interact with everyday.  People have just come to expect that certain things are done certain ways  and at certain times and that is just the way it is.  ANY , and I mean ANY, variances and well - you know what will happen - Anarchy....
For those that know me - you all know that I laugh hard at that notion.  What is conventional to me - for the most part - is what I don't do or believe.  Ok - in fairness I believe that children should pick up after themselves.  Mine don't - but I still believe they should....Nonetheless, convention is for the folks from The Handmaid's Tale.   If you know the story - then you realize those in power there actually do not believe it either.
I almost never wear jeans to work - but I almost always wear jeans to Church.  I am a firm believer in equal rights for women - so if you are female - that door opens just fine if you push or pull on it.  If you are not one that believes in my religion - you are safe - I will NEVER preach @ you - just watch me if you want - I turned out ok - you may want to follow.  I am a true believer in my political slant - many disagree - but they are not sure why or what they don't like - but they don't - I could not smile more - most have given up discussing it with me - I smile even more....  I suppose I have always been that way - something to which I am VERY proud. 
As I was working on the never ending project of cleaning out my basement -( many of you have the same project I am sure) - I ran across - what I suppose was my FIRST blog - although then it was merely a letter to the editor of my hometown newspaper - The Gadsden Times.  I directed the letter  toward the Superintendent of Education and others  in the academic admin of Etowah County.  The topic was corporal punishment in schools.  They were for it and I was against it - still am.  It was a hot topic in 1979 - still is.  I wrote that letter @ 17 years old - it got published - right there in the paper for God and everyone to see/read.  I was pretty happy!  Now I read it and say - WOW!  Not a dangling participle in the whole letter - nowadays my participle dangles when I am tired - life happens I suppose...
Yep - I have most always gone against convention.  I was asked recently how I can live with myself - with all of my more "leftist" views.  I just smile and say "I have a million or so reasons why - a lot of them in cash"   I see that line of thought  merely  the same as people wanting  Christmas preached only @ Christmas  - never Easter.  In other words - have the dream - just make sure you don't do anything odd or different or Hell will find you.  Maybe.... - but one reason to preach Christmas @ Easter is that Christ was more likely born in late Spring or Summer anyway - so perhaps I am not so unconventional after all. Or so go my thoughts from almost 50 years now....Here's to different! For no one thinks as a child "Man, when I grow up I want to be average and just like everyone else".  Live your dream - wacked or not!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment